So here’s a little tidbit about me. I have a round face. When I say round, I mean ROUND. When I was little, my filipino grandparents used to buy me these large steamed pork buns that were super round and they were called siopao’s. Anyways, because me cheeks were so full, everyone in my family literally nicknamed me siopao cheeks until I was nine…
This is a siopao…
Now that I’m older, my cheeks have definitely slimmed down but my face is still rounder than the average humans face. In all honesty, I have grown to love my fuller face because I think it looks very youthful (which I resented in my teen years) and it also means that my face will retain more volume as I age (*fist pump*). Even so, there are still times when I want to achieve a sharper, more defined look, and for anybody looking to achieve this same goal, these tips may be helpful for you as they have been for me.
- Facial Massage – This one is huge. Facial massage encourages lymphatic drainage, while promoting circulation, so its not only improves your skin tone, it detoxifies, which results in a slimmer face. It also gives you a lovely rosy glow! Because I use a lotion cleanser, I massage my face in the morning for a few minutes before rinsing. I wouldn’t massage at night because I’m paranoid of pushing makeup into my pores as I massage. I just think its safer to massage on a clean face! HERE you can find a link to a great video showing your how to do it. This is what made the biggest difference for me, without a doubt.
- Shaping your Eyebrows – This one also makes a huge difference. I find that with a round face, having your brows more arched really helps to slim down the face. Straighter brows will horizontally elongate your face. Still, even though you want to make them more arched or angled, I wouldn’t recommend thinning them out. Full brows are super flattering as well as youthful.
- Stay Fit – I recently got back into working out daily, and I have noticed a big difference in my face. Consequently, the moment I gain weight, it goes straight to my cheeks. By no means am I saying you need to starve yourself or anything along those lines, but staying at whatever weight is healthiest for your body (so your ideal weight) is going to allow the true shape of your face to shine.
- Subtle Contouring – Before I get into this one, I have a confession. I kinda hate traditional contouring. I think it looks harsh and unnatural in person, and it can just make you look so made up. I truly prefer a more natural look. With that being said, I have since attempted a very gentle contour with a concealer two shades darker than my skin tone just around the perimeters of my face, and I have to say, it really does make a difference. I make sure to not extend the contour too far towards my mouth ( I don’t extend it further into my face than the tail end of my eyebrow) and this keeps it looking super natural and undetectable. It’s my go-to technique whenever I have an event or special occasion, and want to look nice in photos.
- Give yourself a slight wing with your eyeliner – This will help to elongate your eyes, and make them appear bigger, thus making your face seem smaller. I love doing this!
And those are my tricks to achieving a slimmer face! If you guys have any cool tips, please share, as I would love to know what works for you! 🙂